Small Ways to make a Big Difference
Sometimes the smallest steps can make the biggest difference to helping the environment. If we all do our bit, together we can help save the planet. The great news is, this doesn’t have to cost you anything. In the long run it can actually save you money. So, let’s take a look at the ways we can call help the environment by making small changes …
Reuse and Recycle
Reduce waste by reusing and recycling your old things, rather than sending them to landfill. Whenever you have something to throw away, first think:
- Can I re-use it?
- Could I use it for another purpose?
- Could I sell it or donate it to charity?
- Can I recycle it?
Save Energy at Home
There are many small and larger ways to save energy around the house. For example:
- Switch out the lights when you leave a room.
- Wash your clothes at 30 degrees.
- Dry your clothes outside on a line
- Use a thermostat to control your heating.
- Choose showers over baths.
- Don’t leave the tap running when you’re brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Upgrade to an energy efficient boiler.
- Choose energy efficient appliances.
- Replace traditional light bulbs with energy efficient LEDs.
- Turn off appliances at the plug, rather than leaving them on standby.
- Invest in insulation, draught-proofing and double glazing.
- Install a smart meter to keep track of your energy usage.
Home Energy Scotland have lots more advice to help you save energy at home.
Reduce Fuel Consumption and Emissions
Driving less, and using our cars responsibly when we do drive can have a huge impact. Here are some things you can do.
- Choose a new or used car with low fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.
- Drive slowly and smoothly.
- Switch off your car engine when stationary.
- Use air conditioning only when needed.
- Don’t travel with extra items In the car that may weigh it down.
- Check your tyre pressure regularly.
- Consider walking, cycling or taking public transport instead of driving.
You can compare fuel consumption, emissions and running costs for new and used cars at Directgov.
Help the environment with your Community
Getting involved with our local community can help us all work together for a cleaner, brighter future.
- Volunteer for a local environmental charity.
- Join a local environmental group.
- Support businesses in your area and buy local.
- Plant a tree to help offset your carbon footprint and encourage others to do the same.
Find out more about Community Environmental Action in the East Dunbartonshire area.Contact us