Close up of hands signing divorce papers

Separation and Divorce when Children are Involved

When a relationship comes to an end, it can be a very difficult time. There are many emotions to deal with, along with lots of practicalities to sort out. When children are involved this can be more complicated, due to issues such as childcare and money. If you’re looking for advice on separation, divorce and children, the Citizens Advice Bureau can help.

Divorce and Children

There are several things you need to think about when children are involved in the break up of a marriage. The most important being, who will look after them? Where will they live? How much contact will the other parent have with them? And how will you support them financially?

Before you get a divorce in Scotland, the court will look at this in detail. They will decide if the arrangements you have made are in the best interests of the children. If both parents are unable to come to an agreement, the court will intervene.

Separation and Children

If you are unmarried, or if you decide to informally separate without getting a divorce, you can make your own arrangements for the children without involving the court. However, if you can’t agree between yourselves, the court can make decisions.

Parenting Plan

The Scottish Government have produced this Parenting Plan for making practical arrangements for children after a break up. Experts in family law and family relationships have written this guide to help you make a parenting agreement. It encourages positive relationships between children and both parents, whenever it’s safe and possible to do so. It goes through living arrangements and financial matters. And it also covers many topics that you might not have discussed yet. For example, school communications, childcare on holidays and birthdays, and keeping in touch with friends and relatives.

Separation and Divorce Help in Scotland

If you have any questions about separation, divorce and children, speak to us at East Dunbartonshire Citizens Advice Bureau. We can help you make a parenting agreement, or get the right legal advice for you and your family.

Contact us

Find Us

And Book an Appointment

CALL US TODAY ON 0141 775 3220

Can we help with your council tax?

Check my council tax