A man who has lost his passport at the airport

Help! I’ve lost my passport!

Going abroad for a holiday used to be a purely summer treat. However with lower airfares and more choice of airlines, it’s common to pop abroad even just for a weekend. No matter how long the trip is, there is one common factor in all of this – your passport. But with over 400,000 passports going missing each year, you might find yourself in what could be the worst gameshow ever: “Help! I’ve lost my passport – get me out of here!”

What to do if you lose your passport before travelling

If you haven’t set foot out your door yet but can’t find your passport, there are a few options. First of all though, make sure you report your passport as lost. You can’t get a replacement until you have done so. 

You can apply online for a replacement passport. However this could take up to three weeks, which isn’t very useful if you are heading on your trip before then. If you are looking to replace a lost or stolen passport (rather than renew one), you need to use a passport Fast Track Service. This takes around a week. It’s generally not possible to get a replacement sooner, unless you have extenuating circumstances, like a medical emergency. 

If you would like to speak to someone about your passport application, you can call the passport advice line on 0300 222 0000.

lady who has lost her passport

Have you lost your passport whilst abroad?

Losing your passport whilst abroad can be scary, but knowing what to do can make things a little easier. 

You will need to apply for an emergency travel document. This will help you get back home to the UK. The countries and dates of travel for your itinerary will be printed on this document, so make sure these don’t change. If they do, then you will have to re-apply for another emergency travel document. 

It normally takes 2 working days for this document to be available. It costs £100 and it’s possible you might need to visit your nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate. 

Passports are changing!

Now that Brexit is on its way, there will be changes to how we go abroad. The rules for passports, driving, EHIC cards, pet travel and more may change after 1 January 2021. The most visible change will be passport colours. Currently, they are burgundy, but will soon change to blue. Don’t worry – all valid passports, whatever colour they are, will be accepted abroad. 

So if you are shouting “Help! I’ve lost my passport!” then hopefully this guide will have helped. You can find out a bit more about how travelling abroad may change in 2021 here, and you can read more about freedom of movement after Brexit here

Contact us

Find Us

And Book an Appointment

CALL US TODAY ON 0141 775 3220

Can we help with your council tax?

Check my council tax


Open Late

📣 We are now open until 7pm, Monday through to Thursday for appointments and telephone calls in Kirkintilloch. 📣

Call: 📞 0141 775 3220
Email Us: Here

Book An Appointment >>